Welcome to our news

The risk of drinking moldy water

Water Toxins

Overview
Mold grows and spreads in most homes. It can appear behind the washing machine, in the corners of the shower, under the mats, and even in the fridge. This is normal due to the nature of the growth and propagation of mold. However, what is rare is the proliferation of mold in drains, water pipes, and filters, which increases the probability of drinking moldy water.

1- How can mold develop in your water system?
Mould is made from organic material and needs three basic ingredients to survive: water, oxygen, and food – like most living things. This mold is spread by spores of suspended mold that can travel great distances without too many obstacles. Mold will expand and spread quickly if it finds all the ingredients it needs to survive. For instance, if you live in a rural area and you obtain water from a well, mold in the water system will be more frequent and this may be due to a problem with the good plug and insufficient tightness. Still, your water supply can get contaminated if you live in a city too. This is often due to high levels of oxygen and the accumulation of organic feed particles in pipes and drains. If you use a paper filter cartridge, for example, this creates an environment for mold growth.
Common signs of mold growth in the water system are:
– The moldy odor of faucets when water is activated.
– Excessively moldy accumulation at the base of the shower.
– A build-up of dirt collects on the bottom and sides of the toilet.

Mould can grow and spread very quickly. It contaminates not only the water lines but also the storage tanks and other water distribution networks that can be used.

2- Risks of exposure to mold in drinking water
Short-term exposure to mold poses no serious health risks, except for some types of allergies or infections. But living with mold on a long-term basis can cause serious health problems. Mold exposure is very much a function of who is exposed to it. Some people may be highly susceptible to exposure to mold, while others show a less severe response.
Some of the most common sensitivities when exposed to mold include:
– Nasal congestion
– Throat irritation
– Persistent cough
– Constant headache
– whistling
– Skin irritation
– Eye irritation

These symptoms are much more severe among people with mold allergies. The same applies to people with autoimmune disorders and respiratory diseases such as asthma and lung diseases. Moreover, mold is dangerous because it can contain harmful bacteria, chemicals, and gases. The presence of these compounds in drinking water is highly hazardous.

3- Mould-induced infections.
Mold is also known to exacerbate certain infections, depending on the bacteria, chemicals, and toxic gases that mold may harbor. Drinking moldy water may result in recurrent bronchitis and other respiratory infections. It can also cause fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and thrush when exposed to harmful strains of mold over a long period.

4-Toxic mold syndrome
It is a syndrome that develops over time because of exposure to toxic mold, also called black mold. This type of mold can live inside drains and pipes, which leads it to accumulate over time if left invisible. Exposure to toxic mold has been associated with several disturbing symptoms, including memory loss, insomnia, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Studies have shown that exposure to black mold, in general, can cause cognitive and emotional disturbances.

Leave a Comment