Welcome to our news

The Health Impacts of Mold in drinking water on Children

Water Toxins

Overview
Mould likes to settle on teeth, bottles, drinking cups, and bath toys, which can be a big problem for your little one, who risks putting everything in his mouth. It is therefore advisable to verify the presence of mold in your child’s property, especially those that collect moisture.

1-When should you discard your child’s property?
To protect your child against choking hazards or contact with mold and bacteria, it is important to regularly check their cups, teethers, and toys and immediately dispose of anything that has tears, cracks, scratches, or loose or broken parts. Items of particular concern may include:
– Everything that has holes or tears that can trap moisture, like bottle nipples.
– Bottles that are cloudy, striped, cracked, or leaky.
– Silicone nipples are sticky and deteriorated as a result of overuse.
– Cups with valves and cylinders with parts that cannot be completely removed for cleaning and drying.
– Any article which cannot be washed, dried and sterilized easily.
– It’s also a good idea to track baby product recalls ensuring there are no unsafe baby toys in the house.

2-How can I verify the presence of mold in teeth, bottles, drinking glasses, and toys?
Any baby product or toy that comes in contact with a baby that is drooling or other liquids, food, or dirt and may trap moisture is at risk for mold. Therefore, it is so important to ensure that these items are cleaned frequently and properly. To check for mold, first check the outside of the mug, bottle, or toy, as well as the entire interior for black or discolored spots. Note any musty or moldy odors, as this may also indicate that mold may develop inside. Submerge bath toys in water and press them, if dark things are coming out, it is very likely that mold. Your best bet is to avoid purchasing toys or cups with holes that can trap humidity. If you do, clean them regularly.

3-Why is mold in mugs and toys dangerous?
Most children who drink cups with mold (or use another moldy item) will have no negative effects. But in some children, mold exposure may cause an allergic reaction or respiratory problems (which is more likely with mold being inhaled instead of ingested). Certain types of mold can also induce vomiting or diarrhea and digestive problems. Children with weak immune systems or who are susceptible or allergic to mold can experience symptoms such as nasal congestion, coughing, or wheezing.

4-What if you find mold in articles used by your child?
If you find mold in a cup, toy, or other product, don’t panic:
– get rid of it immediately and replace it if needed.
– Clean the cups, toys, and feeding equipment, separate them and let them dry completely before replacing them.
– Replace the teether if it has holes to keep your baby as safe and healthy as possible.
– Dismantle the mug as much as possible before cleaning it. Separate the handles, cover, drinking mechanism, valve, straw, etc to be able to clean each piece separately.
– Use soap and hot water to wash the pieces, and carefully rinse each piece with clean water to remove any soapy residue.

Leave a Comment