There are over 300,000 different fungi worldwide. People are often exposed to mold, which occurs naturally outdoors and indoors, by touching or breathing. As mold develops, spores can be released into the air where they can be readily inhaled, causing health effects.
What is mold?
Mould is a type of fungus that typically lives in wet parts of your home. You may have seen it grow around windows, pipes, or close to the roof. It may also grow in your basement or other parts of your home that don’t have great air circulation.
Mould is a frequent cause of allergic reactions. It produces spores, allergens, and irritants that can trigger an allergic reaction when you inhale them. depending on the amount of exposure, age, and sensitivities, or allergies. One of the Symptoms is skin rash.
What is a rash?
A rash is defined as a far-reaching rash of skin lesions. It can be local to just a small portion of the body, or it can cover a large surface. Skin rashes come in many forms and may be caused by allergic reactions such as allergies to downy mildew. They may be dry, itchy, moist, or clogged.
Symptoms of skin rash
Rashes caused by exposure to mold may be difficult to differentiate from other types of rashes. Indeed, an eruption caused by exposure to mold is similar to other types of eruptions caused by allergic reactions.
Some common symptoms of such eruptions include:
- dry and scaly skin
- raw and sensitive skin
- brown or pink skin
- small raised bumps that may leak fluid
Causes of a mold skin rash
Mould reproduces by creating tiny spores which are carried in the air. Breathing these spores can trigger an allergic reaction, which means that your immune system is overreacting. This excessive response leads to the production of antibodies, inflammation, and a variety of non-specific symptoms which may include a rash.
Treating a mold rash
If you have a rash due to mold exposure, it is important to stay away from the source of the mold to prevent further reactions.
The following products can be used to treat a mold rash:
- Antihistamines: Benadryl and other non-prescription antihistamines (OTC) may help reduce the symptoms of your allergic reaction.
- Cortisone creams: Cortisone Creams are available by prescription or over the counter. These creams help to handle swelling, redness, and itching.
- Antibiotics: Pruritic rashes are typically infected by scratches. If you become infected, antibiotics can help you treat it.
- Moisturizers: Moisturizers can help soothe dry, itchy skin.
- Home remedies
Many home remedies can also assist in relieving your itchy rash, such as:
- Aloe vera: Applying aloe vera helps calm pruritic eruptions.
- Cold compress: Applying a damp cloth or paper napkin to the rash can help reduce itching and swelling.
- Oatmeal bath: Soaking in an oat bath, with approximately one cup of oat powder dissolved in lukewarm water, can help soothe your rash.
People who are allergic to mold may develop a rash and other general symptoms of an allergic reaction.
If you suspect that you have a mold allergy, you should clean up any visible mold in your home. You may want to consult a doctor about an allergy test to confirm your allergy to mold.