Welcome to our news

Can Mold Exposure Cause Dry Scaly Skin?

Dry , scaly skinMold poison symptoms


People are often exposed to mold, which is naturally found outdoors and indoors, by touching or breathing them. As Mold develops, spores can be released into the air where they can be easily inhaled, leading to health effects.  Molds produce allergens and irritants that could provoke adverse reactions in humans depending on the amount to which a person is exposed, their age, and sensitivities or allergies.

Mold exposure may result in various symptoms. Sensitive people who have touched or inhaled mold or mold spores may experience allergic reactions such as rashes.

A rash is defined as a widespread eruption of skin lesions. It may be local to just a small body part, or it may cover a large surface area. Skin rashes take many forms and can be caused by allergic reactions such as allergies to mildew. They can be dry, itchy, moist, or blistered,


Many things can grow mold on the skin, here are the major causes.

  • Excessive moisture:  Mould requires moisture and heat to multiply and grow and the human body is the perfect location as our body temperature is elevated, and our skin is made of a biodegradable and slightly porous material to which mold spores like to stick.
  •  A high yeast diet: Increases chances of mold growth. Many body wastes are shed by the skin through the sweat glands. If a large number of yeast-containing products are consumed, the quantities of yeast become excessive in the blood which may cause the formation of mold on the skin.
  •  infection: If your body is already dealing with an infection such as  Athlete’s foot, Nummular Eczema, Dyshidrotic Eczema, or Sporotrichosis,  the mold is more likely to have a foothold on your skin.
  • Microbial volatile organic compounds (VOCs):  An additional source of irritation due to mold exposure. These compounds are generated by fungal metabolism and are released directly into the air, often releasing strong or unpleasant odors. Exposure to mVOCs from molds can be irritating.
  • Mycotoxins: are potent substances produced by certain molds. Persons may be exposed to mycotoxins by inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact. Many molds, including species, often found indoors, can produce mycotoxin.


If you have a skin rash from mold exposure, it is important to stay away from the source of the mold to avoid further reactions.


The following products can be used to treat a mold rash:

  • Antihistamines: Benadryl and other over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines can help alleviate the symptoms of your allergic reaction.
  • Cortisone creams: cortisone creams are available by prescription or OTC. These creams help to control redness and itching of the skin.
  • Antibiotics: Itching skin eruptions are usually infected due to scratching. If you develop an infection, antibiotics may help treat it.

Home remedies

Many home remedies can also help in relieving your skin rash, such as:

  • Aloe vera: The application of aloe vera helps alleviate itchy skin rashes.
  • Oat bath: Dipping in an oat bath, along with a cup of oat powder dissolved in warm water, can help soothe your rash.


Mold is sneaky. It develops quickly in the most unexpected places including your skin. Mold on the skin may cause redness,  itching, and even pain. so take care of your skin so that you do not leave room for mold to grow on it.

Leave a Comment